An Open Letter to the Mom Raising the Child Bullying My Child

 An Open Letter to the Mother Raising a Child Bullying Mine,


I want you to know that I don't fault you. I know when you get those calls about your child having done something to another child that your knees grow weak, and your breathing grows shallow. I know you pause and think back to the child you once rocked, tenderly in your arms and glanced at over your shoulder while cooking dinner. I know your child isn't a bad person nor do they probably recognize what they are doing and how it impacts others.

I know at some point, your child probably felt alone or inferior or that they weren't good enough. In fact, they may still now. I know Mom that you have talks with your child and I know you want your child to do better. I also know you probably think I hate you and your child. I think you probably think my child does too.

That is entirely not true. Yes, I hurt for my child. I am processing how to best help them to grow stronger through adversity to understand that your child is learning to navigate life just like my own. I also know that you didn't raise your child to make fun of my child's body or disability or a genetic trait that they cannot control. I know you taught your child better than that.

Mom, I want you to know that I am hurt. I am losing sleep. I do feel sick to my stomach but if you think for one second I don't recognize the tables could be turned you are wrong. No parent goes into the world without the hope that they will raise a child that will be kind, loving, exemplary and only show the incredible traits and qualities they have. I also know that any one of my own children could have done the same thing out of inability to process their own emotions, recognition of their own shortcomings or the need or want to fit in.

Mom, I want you to know that I know about the pictures. I know about the social media shares and the words your child spoke to mine. I want you to know my child hurts and my heart hurts for my child but I want you to know that while this is all a challenge I believe that we will come out on the other side better mothers, stronger, more convicted and able to raise confident children who will look back, understand and want to make the world a better place.

In the meantime, if you see me out, don't hide, I don't hold malice against you or your child, instead, I'd love for you to take the time to learn about my child. How my child is incredible, loves reading has the ability to process things like an adult and that my child sees yours and believes they will change.

Life isn't easy. There is no what to expect the middle school years or the high schools years or even beyond. I don't know if this is your first or fourth child but I do know your child is loved by you just like mine is loved by me.

Let us continue to teach, to educate, to empower our children and call them to be better than they were the day before.

Sincerely,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexibility

She Lights Up Our Life Everyday, Not Just in April

It Is Ok to Not Be Ok