Entering into April

 Every year we enter into the month of April, I begin to question what the month will hold and unveil for myself as a parent of a child with autism. My daughter is wonderfully made but lives with autism that impacts her life in every aspect. I recognize our journey is unlike anyone else's journey living with and loving an individual with autism. As a parent, I have identified myself as an "autism mom", I have been told I don't have the right to identify myself as such as I don't have autism. This statement made me realize while those of us impacted by autism share a diagnosis, we do not share the same journey and we must always recognize that there is no right way to walk this journey only to choose to continue to walk the journey.

As we near April, I will be sharing what I have learned, working to raise a child with autism and what I have learned from walking the journey side by side with other people impacted by autism and what I have learned from individuals able to share their lives with autism.

Remember, every person's journey with autism is unique and not all children with autism are impacted severely but we should still be aware of individuals who are neurodivergent and identify ways we can support them and their families.

In April, there is a push towards Autism ACCEPTANCE not just awareness. We must truly consider the opportunity to accept who the individual is and that includes all that they are, their unique capabilities, their struggles and challenges.

Through the month I will be sharing things that have helped me and also what I have learned along the way.

The first thing I want to discuss is the puzzle piece. Many people are not in favor of it. I honor that, but often no one knows why. Initially it was brought about as a representation that people with autism are puzzling. This of course can have a negative meaning for individuals who have autism, especially those who do not need significant accommodations and they may take offense to this.

I have a tattoo with the puzzle piece AND the infinity symbol in one. I don't consider Seraphina puzzling; I consider autism to be a piece of her and not her whole. The infinity symbol is the new symbol that many self-advocates have begun to use meaning that represents endless possibilities for individuals with autism. Some may find my tattoo offensive, but for me, it's perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexibility

She Lights Up Our Life Everyday, Not Just in April

It Is Ok to Not Be Ok